What is Vegan Leather?
You have probably heard the term “vegan leather” recently when it comes to fashion and have wondered what that term actually means. Is it another phrase for “faux leather”? The answer is yes. Faux leather and vegan leather both mean the same thing. Both terms represent a material that looks and feels like leather without harming any animals. It is used to make everything from shoes to handbags to jackets – just about anything in you can imagine.
From an animal rights activists perspective, PETA (The People for Ethical Treatment of Animals use the following description of vegan leather on peta.org:
“What’s so great about vegan leather? Only everything. Number one, it’s not made from the skins of dead animals. Plus, it’s easier on the planet – and trés chic.
But what is it?
Most vegan leather is made of polyurethane, a polymer that can be made to order for any designer’s whim. It can sparkle, have a nice glossy sheen, or be saturated in all kinds of shades that put leather to shame.”
This is a great start to explaining what vegan leather is. But what are the benefits to the customer who purchases a vegan leather handbag as opposed to one made of “real leather”?
- Vegan leather is an affordable alternative to real leather. Using vegan leather allows us to keep our prices in a range that is perfect for the shopper who loves color, style and wants to coordinate her accessories with her outfits.
- The fabric is waterproof. That makes it easier to clean by using a mild detergent or just by wiping it with a damp cloth. Here's how to clean your vegan leather handbag:
1. Soak a sponge or cloth in warm water. You can add liquid soap or dish detergent, but never add hard detergents as it may damage the material (try to use unscented soaps to reduce chemicals). Wiping this way will catch dust, dirt and other debris.
2. Squeeze any excess water out of the sponge or cloth and gently wipe the stained area.
3. Wipe the area with a clean, dry cloth. Any leftover moisture or soapy residue can damage the material. Let the surface dry.
On the go? You can always use a baby wipe to gently clean your handbag when you're running around!
- Vegan leather offers a beautiful color palette and sheen. Our beautiful pinks, yellows, lavenders and blues would not be as vivid and our metallics would not have the same luster if real leather was used.
From left to right:
We hope this helps you understand a little bit more about vegan leather!